Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Be Thou Humble



I have never thought of myself as a prideful person. Thanks to my mom and dad and their parenting skills I have always had an ample amount of self-confidence, but prideful was never how I would have described myself. The day, really the minute, I entered the MTC I realized that I was nowhere near humble. I walked into class about a half and hour after arriving at the MTC and my teacher greeted me in Korean. Which was completly fine, I had learned that before coming, but she didn't stop there. She continued on in Korean and then stopped and looked at me like she was expecting an answer. I sat there dumbfounded, how could she expect me to know anything she was saying? I awkwardly laughed and just gave her a look of counfusement. She smiled kindly and slowly started to mime out what she was asking me and I figured out she wanted to know where I was from. I responded and laughed nervously. I realized immediately that this was not going to be like any language class I had ever taken. We've had a few classes since then and the Korean just keeps going. Basically any time she speaks to us, it's in Korean. The night after I arrived I prayed so hard for help. I have realized more than I ever have before that there is no way I am completing this mission without the Lord's help.
On my third day here I got another surprise. My companion and I would be teaching our investigator that night. In Korean. I couldn't even believe it, how could they think that I was anywhere near ready to do something like that? But quitting isn't an option. So my companion and I started looking up some phrases in our books and slowly reading over them praying that we might be able to get our message accross. Before it was our turn to teach we said a simple prayer asking for help and assistance that we might remember what we'd prepared and not be too nervous, and then we just went for it. It was shaky and slow and sometimes we had to repeat oursleves a few times but we got through it. We taught him about God's love for him and it seemed like he understood. It was a great feeling of accomplishment. We just thought if we can do this now, think of where we'll be in nine weeks if we keep The Spirit with us and rely on God for our help.
Some days the Korean comes easier than others, some days I feel like I am the smartest person on the planet just for being able to sound out a word. Yet I cannot let myself forget that it is not just by my power this progress is being made. I know that it is the Lord's help that is making this so much easier for me than it ever would be if I was not set apart as a missionary of Jesus Christ. All he asks of me is that I try my very best and turn to Him for help. In our devotional on Sunday something was said that I really liked.
"God does not expect perfection but He is pleased with progression"
I know that if I humble myself and become, as Christ commands, like a little child I will have the strength and the help I need to make this time in the MTC and this mission the best thing that has ever happened to me.
I would love to hear from all of you, don't be shy in writing letters... I promise I'll respond. I'm a really good pen-pal if you're looking for one haha.
Much Love,
Sister Annie Atwood

1 comment:

  1. Your so awesome, I love that your trying so hard, its cool! Your going to be fantastick!!

    ReplyDelete