Monday, June 24, 2013

"Be still and know that I am God" Doctrine & Covenants 101:16


I am in Korea right this second!!! I still can hardly believe it, it's all a bit surreal to me, like tomorrow I am going to wake up and be back in the MTC. But as I look out the window all of the signs are definitely in Korean, that's all the proof I need.

So a quick wrap up of my journey and the first couple of days in Korea. We left the MTC at 4:30 am Monday morning and traveled for a very long time. Making pit stops in L.A. and Tokyo. We arrived in Busan Tuesday night and I was so happy to be done traveling. I felt dirty and gross and so tired. The mission president Pres. Gilbert and his wife met us at the airport and it was exciting to finally meet them, they are wonderful. All of the new arrivals stayed at the mission home that night. Wednesday was mostly training and orientation meetings. Wednesday afternoon they brought all of the missionaries in who would be training. We didn't get assigned our companions at that point but we did go out and proselyte with them just switching around every so often. That was an intense experience I'll just say that. That was probably the moment when I realized that I actually don't speak any Korean. We slept at the mission home again Wednesday night and then Thursday we got our trainers. My trainers name is Sis. Baker and she is wonderful. This is her last transfer and I feel so lucky to have her training me, I know that I will learn so much from her.

I am serving in Geoje right now. It's an island off the southern coast of Korea and it is beautiful. Sis. Baker and I are the only missionaries on the island so it's all up to us. The ward here has about 15 people (including us) that come to church regularly, so we've got plenty of work to do. It's going to be hard but we are going to try our very best.

Getting dropped into a foreign country has been a challenge. This week has been interesting to say the least. It is a strange and terrifying feeling to be somewhere that you can't communicate with anyone and you also can't find your way around. I can honestly say that this has been the hardest part of my mission so far. But it has also been great to be able to actually be out doing work.

There have been times this week that were harder than others and which made me re-evaluate my purpose here a little bit. At one point I was having a small panic attack thinking about doing this for the next 16 months and the scripture ran through my head, "be still and know that I am God". It calmed me down very quickly. I have turned my life over to God for these next 16 months. Who better to have in control of your life than God? He knows everything, he loves you and he has a plan for you. I can't think of a source of guidance in my life. I can parallel a mission to life. In our earthly life we don't know everything. Sometimes we don’t always keep the perspective in mind what the end result will be, as well as the blessings to come in the future. Blessings are rarely immediate, but we have to hold fast to the faith that they do come. We must have faith and trust in God. He will guide us if we, like the scripture says, be still. It is in those quiet moments that we can hear the whisperings of the Holy Ghost and hear the directions God has for us.

That is what I want to strive to do. I know I can't do this on my own and this thought scares me more than I could have ever imagined. But I have faith that if I trust God and remember that He is omnipotent, I know that He can, and will, guide me. He will make me into more than I could ever be on my own, because He has faith in me.

This week I invite you to be still and listen for the Holy Ghost to guide you in your life.

I love you all and I miss you.
Sister Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment