Sunday, June 16, 2013

Doctrine & Covenants 84:88 "and my angels round about you, to bear you up"


I'm leavin' on a jet plane... The time is finally here! I am leaving early (so very early) Monday morning for the beautiful land of Korea! I am so excited to go. I can't wait until it's time to hop onto the bus and leave the MTC forever! As excited as I am to leave, I am not loving all the packing that I have to do before I go. 100 pounds is really not very much stuff, but it's okay. I think I will be able to make it work, so I don't want anyone to worry about me...

Today I want to take a little bit of space to say happy birthday to my mom! It is actually her birthday as I write this so it worked out pretty nicely. She is the best mother in the whole world; I wouldn't trade her for anything. She is loving and kind, poised and gracious, and oh so stylish. I'm so lucky to have her.

Since it is also Father’s Day, I want to tell the whole world (or whoever reads this blog) that my dad is the most wonderful father ever, and I'm not exaggerating. He has supported me and given me strength my entire life. He has always been an example to me in every way. Whenever people tell me I'm just like my dad I love it, because who wouldn't want to be like him?

Over the past week it has slowly dawned on me that I am actually leaving the country, my home, and the MTC. With this realization has come a little bit of anxiety and perhaps even a little nervousness. There have been a few times where I've begun to doubt myself. During these moments I've started questioning what in the world have I gotten myself into? Who am I to think that I can learn Korean? Or, that I am capable of representing Christ and being an example to the people I will meet? In those times it is hard to remember the strength that I do have. It is also difficult to remember that I have been set apart as a servant of Jesus Christ, sent to preach the gospel in Korean. However, the lapse is momentary, and then I remember that I do have mental, physical and spiritual strength, along with the power of God. I just need to keep it in the forefront of my thoughts.

In The Doctrine and Covenants section 84, verse 88 it says, "And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."

It gives me strength in my soul and peace in my heart to know that He is by my side. It sustains me to know that I am not alone. It helps to know that I am not struggling to learn the Korean language and then preach the gospel in the same language all by myself. I know that Christ is always with me. This scripture assures me that He will be on my right and on my left. Additionally, He promises that angels will be round about me. With such a promise, how can I doubt that I can do this? I know that I cannot do it but, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthened me." (Philippians 4:13)   

As I found, or re-discovered both of these scriptures this week my testimony has been enlarged, and I recalled the promises that Christ has given me, and all of us who seek to follow Him. He will not leave me alone to do His work, which is “…to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man”, (Moses 1:39). In fact he will not leave us alone to do anything in our lives, if we turn to him and then we ask him for help, he will take our burdens and he will make them light. (Matthew 11: 30).

This post is short and sweet, because the message is succinct. I want to challenge you to strive to remember the strength and support Christ has promised you. If you ever feel like you can't go on, like you can't accomplish something, just turn to Christ. Let him help you, let his angels "bear you up". I know without a doubt that they will, because they have carried me all the while I have prepared to go to Korea.

I pray you all have a wonderful week. The next post will be from Korea so be excited for that! I miss you all and I love you,

Sister Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment